Stuff 'n' Junk

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mills and Boon and the satisfaction that only comes through belittling the life's work of others.

So this week has been tedious, strenuous and surprisingly hard to tolerate.
Frankly, it has sucked.

Knowing that my job at T.A.R.G.E.T. is over has strangely made it UNBEARABLE for me to even turn up, let alone with so much as a semblance of punctuality...

But somehow, I have found a way through it, at least as far as Wednesday.

Part of what helped me through Tuesday was the glory I beheld in amusing myself with Mills and Boon titles.

As somewhat of a backdrop; part of my job is to count and return magazines and books to the suppliers (known in the industry as "Vendors") from whence they came.
The Mills and Boon returns (Mills and Boon being instantly recognizable to all of you, I'm sure) have, since I started at T.A.R.G.E.T., been a source of great, great entertainment for me. Titles such as 'His Very Personal Assistant' and 'A Point of Pride' (I kid you not) have amused me, and somewhat surprised me, for as long as I've had the dubious pleasure of RETURNING them.

But this week was something special.

This week, I was over it.

So I began entertaining myself in the only way that I could think to; I began taking the piss.

But the amazing thing was, just how perfectly the titles fitted into my joke!

There I sat, reading titles like 'Miss Longshot' and noticing we had sold exactly ZERO copies, and saying to my co-worker: 'I guess everyone figured she was TOO MUCH of a long shot!'

And it was just amazing how perfectly almost EVERY SINGLE TITLE fitted in to the joke!

'Bought by her Husband' - obviously didn't buy ENOUGH COPIES!
'The Exciting Plan' - not exciting enough to BUY!
'How to find a Husband' - clearly not 'How to Sell Books'!

It just killed me how easily all of the titles worked with the SAME DAMN JOKE!

You know what? Reading back on it, it doesn't even seem funny.

Oh well.

Fuck you.

I do what I want.

Fuck off! Don't come following me!

1 Comments:

  • At 16:12, Blogger Pablo said…

    Not even just down the hall, so I can sit whimpering outside your bedroom door while you sleep?

    God, I need sleep.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home