Stuff 'n' Junk

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Peter Lloyd is going to hate me

I posted this review here before I was really convinced of its "finishedness", because I was kinda wondering if my opinion here was right: It's too harsh, and not funny enough.

Am I right?

I mean, yeah the book sucked, but the point of reviewing it is to get a laugh, right? Being right isn't enough if you're not funny.

If you care enough to spend 2 seconds writing, let me know what you think.

The finger for A fingerpost...


Peter Lloyd’s A Fingerpost for Rembrant makes me understand why people don’t want to read poetry.
It’s clear this man has studied the art of creative writing; he knows how to manipulate language for effect, and there's no doubt that he has a calculated reason for every single phrase in this collection. But if a novice writer used exactly the same style on accident, it’d be called what it is: bad writing.
There's simply no passion! Reading this book is like eating food without flavour. The words wash past without even a hint of interest. It’s not bad; it’s too boring to be bad.
I'm not saying there's no good here; Lloyd’s combination of romantic and common language (particularly in The Lilac Tree, p 18) creates an image of the beauty of life being forgotten in the haste of everyday tedium. But the good points of this book are forgotten in the haste of the bad points' tedium.
One man’s trash is another’s treasure, but I simply cannot imagine anyone being moved by what is contained within the pages of this pretentious and mediocre offering.
Two fingers up for Peter Lloyd. Two middle fingers.

1 Comments:

  • At 01:35, Blogger Arithon said…

    Well that'd be harsh but fair. Unfortunately I couldn't read your post because after I read Fingerpost.. I gouged my eyes out with my fingers, which I then cut off... rendering me unable to reply to your post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home